Youth Award applications are now closed.
We would like to thank everybody who applied!
CSPC is pleased to announce the competition for the 5th science policy awards of excellence, youth category is open now. CSPC is committed to build capacity and empower young generation of scientists and policy makers, to develop and their expertise and be able showcase their talent. We encourage all of you below 35 years of age from any discipline, and any sector and at any stage of your profession, to apply for this award.
This award recognizes a young individual (student, postdoctoral fellow, researcher, entrepreneur, etc.) under the age of 35 who proposes an innovative and compelling evidence-based policy that will make a positive difference to Canadians. Proposals should be connected to one or more of the themes for the 2019 CSPC Conference listed below. The winner will receive free admission to the CSPC 2019 Conference, along with accommodation for two nights (in Ottawa, November 13-15), and will have the opportunity to present their policy proposal at the conference. This award is designed not only to highlight innovative, evidence-driven policy ideas by policy students and young professionals, but also to encourage young people not currently studying, or working on, public policy to share their policy ideas.
Note: Eligible recipients include all young Canadian residents under 35, regardless of their field of study or work.
CSPC 2019 Themes
- Science and Policy
- Science and Society
- Science, Innovation and Economic Development
- Science, International Affairs and Security
- Science and the Next Generation.
Applications will be scored on the basis of the following criteria:
- Effective use of evidence - 30%
- Expected impact of the proposal - 25%
- Novelty and creativity - 20%
- Presentation and clarity of writing – ability to be understood by a general public audience - 25%
How to Apply
Applications must be submitted, in English or French, by 23:59 (Pacific Time) on Friday, August 30th, 2019.
The required elements to a successful application are listed below. Upon submission, please ensure your application is fully completed and that it adheres to the stated word limit. Accompanying videos (of not more than 15 minutes), posters or presentations (in PowerPoint or Prezi) are also welcome in addition to the completed web form. Files must be less than 8 MB and any of the following file types is acceptable (gif jpg jpeg png bmp eps tif pict txt html pdf doc docx odt ppt pptx odp xls xlsx ods).
Proposals will be anonymized and reviewed blind by an expert committee.
Citations for sources of evidence, which should be shown in square brackets, are not included in the word count.
- *Date of Birth.
- *Contact Information (phone, address, email).
- Brief Biography (no more than 150 words).
- Inspiration (in 150 words or less, describe what inspired you to tackle this particular issue).
- Connected Conference Theme(s)
- Title of Policy Proposal (10 words or less).
- Need/Opportunity for Action (in 600 words or less, describe the nature of the problem that the proposal seeks to solve, why it is important, and current actions being taken or not taken by government, including partnership activities – include evidence base).
- Proposed Action (in 600 words or less, describe the proposed policy/program by government, including in partnership with other organizations, the rationale and who should be involved – include evidence base).
Rules and Regulations
- Applicants must be made by individual under the age of 35 at the time of submission.
- Applicants must be living in Canada.
- All scores and feedback provided by the judges will not be disclosed for any reason.
- All applicants give the right to the CSPC to profile their submission in all Conference materials before, during, and after the event.
- The CSPC and the judges will not release any information in the application that is specified as confidential (marked above with an *asterisk).
If you have any issues in submitting your proposal, please also send a copy to email@example.com before the deadline.
CSPC 2018 Science Policy Excellence Award – Youth (Download a PDF of the top 2018 Award proposals)
CSPC 2017 Science Policy Excellence Award – Youth (Download a PDF of the top 2017 Award proposals)
CSPC 2016 Science Policy Excellence Award – Youth (Download a PDF of the top 2016 Award proposals)