Research use of online personal information is coming under increasing scrutiny. This expert panel will discuss ethical, technical, social, and legal factors relevant to organizations interested in using such information for research purposes.
This will include:
1) Data scraping versus use of platform APIs: does it matter?
2) Facing questions of imperfect user consent: ethical approaches to ambiguity
3) Engagement approaches to support constructive conversations about Indigenous data
4) Mitigating risk through privacy-preserving technologies
5) Balancing open data policies and social media user privacy: approaches to serve the public interest while protecting individuals